Monday 8 September 2014

The DQ July-Aug '14 Challenge required participants to make a quilted item using curved seams in the Indian Tricolour.

So, without further ado, may I present our lovely entries...
(The descriptions are in the words of the quilters)

JulAug01 - The right accessory for an outing on the Republic day or Independence day. Angular pieces of tricolour joined up with curved seams came together easily. The curves themselves suggested a purse - for that compact, sunglasses or the ever-present mobile. Dont miss the finishing touch - a Chakra made of dark blue beadá¹£
Finished size - approximately 6" x 12"




JulAug02 - Bicycle chain (purchased pattern). It is somewhat symbolic of all the bicycles in India.100% Indian cotton and measures 72 x 90.




JulAug03 - My tiranga 55'X20" table runner. This is my first attempt at curved seams. This is also the first time that i have used a walking foot. The best thing about the DQ challenge is that it gives one a chance to try out and learn new techniques. I used the many tutes on the world wide web to learn this.




JulAug04 - "The Flight" - an original pattern 26.5"X26.5". The birds represent the ability of people to free themselves...to rise above and beyond the ordinary...to reach for the skies.
A first time at curved seams...scrappy binding, kantha quilting on the birds,the borders and on the paisleys at the corners and some FMQ




JulAug05 - Title: India is my home 16"x14.5"
Description : I used cotton fabrics for the quilt. And it describes the night view since we got the freedom at night. This is my very first try on curved seam. Its my original work.




JulAug06 - Infant quilt 25"x 25" in the tricolour using drunkards path block.Tried curved seams and machine quilting for the first time. I have quilted 4 bows and the border.




JulAug07 - 'NEW BEGINNINGS' 24.5''X 21'' elliptical, satin and acrylic, original design, trying to arrange some 8'' CLAM SHELLS. It looks like a Christmas Tree Ornament to me so I guess it looks festive enough to celebrate 67 years of Indian Independence! I've backed and bound the piece in green to signify NEW BEGINNINGS which I hope will be forthcoming with the dynamic new leadership.




The DQs have voted and the top three favourite entries are:

JulAug02
JulAug04
JulAug06

We will come back with the name of the winner soon ! Until then, hop over to the album on our DQ Facebook page and try guessing who made what !

1 comment:

  1. Hi.
    I find your blog very interesting. Pl keep up the good work
    Do visit my blogs
    http://www.myartandrecipes.blogspot.in
    http://kutchworkhelpbyvidya.blogspot.com/
    Regards
    Vidya joshi

    ReplyDelete