Wednesday 17 September 2014

Round the Year BOM Quilt Block - Sapphire


This is Sapphire Rainbow, the fourth block of the #MMDQ Block of the Month Quilt, Round the Year. Like the previous three blocks, this one is also paper foundation pieced and finishes at 18" square with a 15" inset circle. The pattern, fabric requirement and piecing instructions can be downloaded from the links at the end of this post.Fellow Desi Quilter Anuradha Ramesh has been sweet enough to find the time to test the other colourway, Dusk, for me. This is the design for what I call the Sapphire Fire.
Sapphire Fire Quilt Block - Round the Year Quilt
Sapphire Fire Quilt Block
.
I am yet to make this block in this colourway. I plan to use 4 shades of blue fabric from deep to light in this block, contrasted with 4 fabrics ranging from deep orange through light orange and gold to yellow. The background is planned in 2 shades of grey. Here is a look at some of the fabric I have been auditioning for the block! It is Fossil Fern by Benartex - I just love that fabric!
Sapphire Fire Quilt Block
Fabric for the Sapphire Fire Block
Meanwhile, I  have also listed out of a few do's and don't's to keep in mind when paper piecing the blocks from this quilt. For example, 

  • I often have people ask me if they can increase the printer settings to, say, 120% if a larger block is needed. It does not work that way, if you have the ¼" seam allowance added on to the template ( as is the case with the Round the Year block templates). You will end up increasing the seam allowance also to 120%!
  • I like to cut the templates a bit larger on all sides and trim them after piecing. It may be just superstition, I don't know! I just like the thought of some margin in case things go wrong somewhere!
  •  After cutting the fabric pieces, I can save a lot of heartburn if I remember to pin the pieces to the respective templates! At this stage, I also get a chance to check if I have missed out on a piece or two. (If you look at the Rainbow Sapphire picture, you'll spot a missing piece!)
  • I like to sort out the templates shape wise unless specifically asked not to. There is a possibility you can chain piece them and why miss the opportunity?  
  • It may sound obvious, but please remember to begin with piece #1 and #2 when you start piecing a template!
  • Unlike in the case of piecing the templates, numbering or alphabetical order does not work when assembling the templates! So that it is not necessary that A is joined to B is joined to C etc...Follow the assembly instructions given in the pattern.


 You will find lots of more foundation paper piecing  tips on my blogpost which carries the Sapphire Fire pattern. So before I forget, here are the promised pattern downloads for the Sapphire Block for the two colourways. The files are huge, and may take time to download. You need Adobe Reader on your system(downloadable free online) to be able to view/ download these files. Happy piecing and quilting!
Pattern for Sapphire Fire, Block Four of Dusk Round the Year Quilt.
Pattern for Sapphire Rainbow Block Four of Dusk Round the Year Quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment